On July 31, Purple Pyramid (a division of Cleopatra Records) will release Pat Travers’ new record, BLUES ON FIRE, a collection of historic, classic blues songs that date back to the early 1900s.
After a long and loud European tour last year, Pat came back home to the States and decided to decompress and refresh by listening to nothing but old blues on AOL radio. “I listened and absorbed. I got the artist biographies and the back stories, and heard about the influences of my influences!” said Pat. With an affinity to both the music and the artists, and much attentive research, he hand-picked twelve songs that showcase the finest early 20th century bluesmen and blueswomen.
While the record boasts a full, classic rock production and guitar-heavy interpretations, Pat says with reverence to the source material, “there’s no way to hide under technology.” The emotion of story-telling through lyric and strings comes through in tracks like the heavy melodic opener “Black Dog Blues” by Blind Blake, Blind Willie Johnson’s “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” and Jimmy Cox’s lament “Nobody Knows When You’re Down And Out.” Son House’s stark and bleak “Death Letter” is a one-take stunner. Bessie Smith, Tampa Red, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and more are also honored on BLUES ON FIRE.
Pat Travers is one of the most prolific guitar players of this generation. In his 40-year career, he has released dozens of records across many genres, and has been a Top 20 and Top 40 charter. Noted musicians like Nicko McBrain, Tommy Aldridge, Pat Thrall, and Carmine Appice have been part of The Pat Travers Band. In addition to coast-to-coast and international headlining tours, the band has toured with the likes of Rainbow and Rush. Pat continues to inspire and influence his peers, including Metallica’s Kirk Hammett, who called Pat one of his favorite guitarists.
Pat Travers is on U.S. tour this summer and will feature music from his long career and BLUES ON FIRE:
7/10/2012 Summer Concert Series Grants Pass, OR
7/12/2012 Cascades Bar & Grill Vancouver, WA
7/13/2012 Bend Summer Series Bend, OR
7/14/2012 Summer Concert Series Lewiston, ID
7/15/2012 The Knitting Factory Spokane, WA
7/21/2012 West Texas Black Gold Rally Odessa, TX
7/26/2012 Dosey Does Woodlands, TX
7/28/2012 City of Kokomo Kokomo, IN
8/3/2012 Arcadia Theatre Chicago, IL
8/4/2012 Guitar Gods Kansas City, MO
8/8/2012 Iridium Jazz Club NYC, NY
8/9/2012 Mexicali Live Teaneck, NJ
8/18/2012 Jumpin Turtle San Marcos, CA
8/22/2012 The New Parish Oakland, CA
8/23/2012 Boardwalk Orangevale, CA
8/24/2012 Cats Tavern Los Gatos, CA
8/26/2010 Rally Lake Tahoe, CA
Pat produced and performed all vocals, guitars, and bass on BLUES ON FIRE, with Doug Bare on piano/organ and Carl Cleaver on piano. Sean Shannon played drums as well as engineered the record.
BLUES ON FIRE Track Listing:
- Black Dog Blues (originally performed by Blind Blake)
- Nobody’s Fault But Mine (originally performed by Blind Willie Johnson)
- Back Water Blues (originally performed by Lonnie Johnson)
- Meat Shakin’ Woman (originally performed by Blind Boy Fuller)
- Easy Rider Blues (originally performed by Blind Lemmon Jefferson)
- Nobody Knows When You’re Down And Out (originally performed by Bessie Smith)
- Bulldozer Blues (originally performed by Henry Thomas)
- You Can’t Get That Stuff No More (originally performed by Tampa Red)
- Dark Night Blues (originally performed by Blind Willie McTell)
- Rock Island Blues (originally performed by Furry Lewis)
- Jailhouse Blues (CD Only) (originally performed by CW Stoneking)
- Death Letter (originally performed by Son House)
Black Dog Blues streaming track
BLUES ON FIRE will be available online and at your favorite record store. MSRP for the CD is $14.98 and 12” vinyl is $18.98.