Purple Pyramid (an imprint of Cleopatra Records) will release THE FUSION SYNDICATE, a collection of original rock-jazz fusion explorations performed by an eclectic group of the finest musicians working today.
THE FUSION SYNDICATE features performances by members of the biggest names in fusion including Billy Cobham, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Yellowjackets, and Spyro Gyra plus rock/prog players from Yes, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Hawkwind and more.
The seven-track record provides nearly an hour of intricate and expansive demonstrations from all the collaborators. “Stone Cold Infusion” combines Steve Stevens’ effortless fretwork and Mel Collins’ soulful horns with Billy Cobham’s solid and propelling drums, while “Atom Smashing” highlights some fast fingerplay from Tony Kaye.
Billy Sherwood composed all the music for, assembled and produced THE FUSION SYNDICATE. A multi-talented musician, he has played in Yes (and several of its reconfigurations), Toto, and others while as a producer, mixer and engineer, he’s contributed to recordings by Yes, Motorhead, Paul Rodgers and all-star tribute albums to artists such as Queen, AC/DC, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sherwood also spearheaded THE PROG COLLECTIVE for Purple Pyramid/Cleopatra, which assembled the best players in prog for a collection of original works.
Said Sherwood, “When I was asked to write and produce a fusion record I jumped at the chance. I’ve always had a deep love of Jazz and Fusion music having grown up listening to Weather Report, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu among many others in the genre. The record has become a musical dream team, including some of the world’s most renowned players in the field. The music reflects a time when virtuosity was the standard and incredible musicianship was the order of the day. Each artist sharing their talent and skill, blending it all into a bigger musical picture, creating an amazing expression of unity and purpose.”
THE FUSION SYNDICATE TRACK LIST AND PLAYERS
1. Random Acts Of Science – Rick Wakeman (Yes) • Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra) • Nik Turner (Hawkwind) • Jimmy Haslip (Yellowjackets / Alan Holdsworth)
2. Stone Cold Infusion – Steve Stevens • Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater / Liquid Tension Experiment) • Mel Collins (King Crimson) • Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree) • Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
3. Molecular Breakdown – Jay Beckenstein (Spyro Gyra) • Billy Sheehan (Steve Vai) • Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) • David Sancious (The E Street Band)
4. Particle Accelerations – Larry Coryell • Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater / Black Country Communion) • Eric Marienthal (Chick Corea Elektric Band) • Chester Thompson (Genesis / Brand X)
5. At The Edge Of The Middle – Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs) • Jim Beard (Mahavishnu Orchestra) • Randy Brecker (Blood, Sweat & Tears) • Percy Jones (Soft Machine / Brand X)
6. Atom Smashing – John Etheridge (Soft Machine) • Tony Kaye (Yes) • Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa)
7. In The Spirit Of… – Steve Hillage (Gong) • Scott Kinsey (Tribal Tech) • Theo Travis (Steven Wilson Band) • Justin Chancellor (Tool) • Asaf Sirkis (The Orient House Ensemble)
THE FUSION SYNDICATE will be in stores and online retailers for MSRP of $14.98. The 2 LP vinyl format is $29.98.