The world’s most prestigious metal festival, Wacken Open Air, known for its elite lineup of the globe’s best metal bands is bringing the largest metal contest on the planet to Canada. Wacken Metal Battle Canada will be recruiting one independent Canadian band to perform at this year’s highly celebrated gathering of metal heads in Wacken, Germany. Searching for the strongest contenders, Metal Battle Canada will showcase Canada’s premiere talents for one true champion to represent the nation with highest honor at the Wacken Open Air Festival.
Being held in Toronto, ON and Montreal, QC during the months of May and June, Canadian metal bands from across the country will challenge one another to join a list of Canadian heavyweights such as Voivod, Exciter, Razor, Annihilator, Anvil, Kataklysm, Cryptopsy, 3 Inches of Bloods, Despised Icon and Danko Jones who have performed at the festival in years past.
The W:O:A Metal Battle was founded in 2004 to encourage future generations of heavy metal and rock, as Wacken Open Air believes in supporting the future of metal music and its musicians.
Submissions for Metal Battle Canada can be completed via the online application at the following link below and will be open from Feb 18th to deadline on March 10th. (Please remember to select the city in which you would like to potentially compete.)
Promo Video – Wacken Metal Battle Canada
Battling rounds for Metal Battle Canada will be held on the following dates:
April 28 – Rivoli – Toronto, ON
May 2 – Hard Luck – Toronto, ON
May 5 – Rivoli – Toronto, ON
May 9 – Hard Luck – Toronto, ON
May 12 – Rivoli – Toronto, ON
May 16 – Hard Luck – Toronto, ON
May 24 – Hard Luck – Toronto, ON
May 31 – Hard Luck – Toronto, ON
June 7 – Rivoli – Toronto, ON
May 9 – Katacombes – Montreal, QC
May 15 – Katacombes – Montreal, QC
May 22 – Katacombes – Montreal, QC
May 31 – Katacombes – Montreal, QC
June 7 – Katacombes – Montreal, QC*
* 2 MONTREAL BANDS MOVE TO FINALS – June 22 at Opera House, Toronto, ON
FINALS – METAL BATTLE CANADA
June 22 – Opera House, Toronto, ON
All bands that wish to participate in the Metal Battle must read the following rules and guidelines. Bands who send in an application automatically agree to the rules and terms.
- Your band doesn’t have a record deal and isn’t about to sign to a record label in the near future.
- Your band must be able to play a 30 minute set consisting of your own original material.
- PA, lighting, and sound engineer will be provided for all bands by Metal Battle Canada.
- Backline arrangements TBA.
- The bands must bring their own instruments such as guitars, bass, drum breakables, keyboards and effect pedals and may also bring and use their own guitar amps.
- To keep the changeover times as short as possible, bands with left handed drummers will play as first or last band. All bands have to follow the directions given by the promoters or stage manager.
- Semi playback is not allowed. All bands must play live.
- Jury of respected music industry folk will decide the winners each night.
If a band overruns its allotted performance time, then the band-members should be aware of the fact that in this case their sound will be faded out. The running order for the concert will be released a few days before the event takes place.
Official Website: http://www.metalbattle.ca